Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 5: Taco Pizza

On New Years Eve, we made a whole bunch of taco meat for our potluck (more information here) and ended up with a whole bunch of extra leftover chicken taco meat. The other day, I suggested the idea of making a taco pizza out of some of the leftovers, since the boyfriend was apparently tired of tacos and wouldn't eat the leftover Chicken and Gnocchi soup. And it was actually a hit!

This is my go-to pizza dough recipe, which I use because it doesn't require a lot of planning and usually turns out pretty tasty. Normally, I add some garlic powder in the dough, but since I was making a Tex-Mex themed pizza instead of a normal pepperoni, I left the garlic out. The great thing about this dough recipe is that I can make either two medium sized pizzas, or one large deep dish pizza in my 15" cast iron pan.

I used salsa as the pizza sauce - runner-up ideas were re-fried beans and Tabasco hot sauce (which, sadly, may actually be the only hot sauce in this apartment), but since the chicken itself already had four different kinds of beans, and the boyfriend thought hot sauce would make the pizza too hot, salsa ended up being the winning pizza sauce. The cheese is a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella. In the picture below, the pizza is only topped with lettuce and taco meat, because the boyfriend doesn't like tomatoes and raw onion - I added those to my slices individually.



Delicious, and an excellent way to make something new out of leftover food!

No comments:

Post a Comment