Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Day 34, 35: Chili, Hushpuppies, a Surprise Package of Candy and Sweets

I made some Chili on Monday, and...I remember taking a picture of the whole pot. I really, really do. But I guess I didn't. So I don't really have anything to show for it.

But really, it's almost the exact same recipe I used last time...except for one thing - I added in half a jar of jalapenos that was sitting in my cupboard, juice and all. And that little addition added just enough spice to make the chili even more delicious, to the point I may make this a more regular thing. I should probably also start adding chilies more often.

That said, I saw this white chili the other day on Reddit that looks super delicious, and I may have to try making this sometime, especially since my boyfriend loves chicken.

I did, however, experiment with making some hushpuppies. They came out alright, but I did end up cooking them a touch too long.


Recipe:
  • 1/2 Cup flour
  • 1/2 Cup Corn Meal
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 Egg, Beaten
  • 2 Tablespoons Milk
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
 Beat together egg, sugar, and milk. Sift dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and add to liquid ingredients. Lump mixture together in balls and fry in oil until golden brown.

The sugar can be adjusted depending on how sweet you want these - I added slightly less than 1/4 of a cup, and that seemed to be just about perfect.

That day, I also received a (somewhat) surprise package - I had signed up for a secret santa exchange online months ago, and while I had sent out my gift in December (which included some fudge, which I'll make and discuss here one day), my gifter was a little behind on his shipment. In any case, my package did arrive on Monday - here's what came.


Candy and processed food is bad, blah blah...oh! Are those jelly beans? I haven't had jelly beans in years.


Omnomnomnomnom.


Look at these things.

Anyways, yesterday was pretty boring for food. I ate a bowl of honeycomb and two bowls of leftover chili. And more candy.

By the way, those Sour Patch Watermelon candies? Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment